AWS offers a wealth of insights developed from their experience of having now migrated hundreds of enterprise customers to their Cloud.
This AWS presentation defines the context and sequence, and the key activities involved in the Cloud Migration process, and their Migration Hub brings these practices together into a knowledge base.
Resources include a Cloud Transformation Maturity Model for assessment and planning, supported by presentations including an AWS Migration Planning and Roadmap, a guide for Migrating Enterprise Applications to AWS and Application Migrations at Scale, and Governance Strategies for Cloud Transformation.
Migration Best Practices
Migrating Applications to Public Cloud Services: Roadmap for Success from the Cloud Standards Customer Council defines a comprehensive migration review process, covering:
- A checklist for identifying Application Candidates for Migration to Cloud Computing.
- Building a business case.
- Developing a technical approach and integration model.
- Addressing Security & Privacy Requirements.
- Migration procedures.
The Nimbo white paper Data Centre Migration to the Cloud describes the technical details of planning migration of a traditional to a Cloud Data Centre (CDC), highlighting questions to consider such as:
- Networking – How do you want segment resources in terms of subnets and DHCP blocks, and do you want the CDC to be Internet connected?
- Security and Access Control – Who/how do you want to control access? What security rules do you want in place, and where? Per server, subnet or grouping?
- High Availability – Do you want multiple CDCs for high availability and disaster recovery?
- Sizing – Determine CPU, RAM, storage, IOPS and networking requirements for the migrating applications.
The AWS presentation also provides a framework for estimating the migration workloads, and what methods to use for each.
Agile Practices for Large-Scale Cloud Migrations
For complex scenarios of multiple applications AWS proposes an approach of ‘Agile Cloud Migration’.
This presentation describes an ‘Agile Approach to Mass Migrations‘, providing a comprehensive primer on a wholesale transformation framework that is based on and can integrate with existing Agile practices, achieved through building a Cloud Centre of Excellence and referencing thought leaders such as Gene Kim’s Phoenix Project and Jez Humble’s Lean Enterprise principles.
In this blog Stephen Orban describes how to unite all of these practices into one overall enterprise strategy.